Total Body Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a wonderful procedure to use to remove unsightly hair all over the body. However, if you are entering into your first treatment, you may be wondering what to expect.
Here is an overview of the laser hair removal procedures for all common treatments from head to toe:
- Laser hair removal on the face: This is a much more common area than you would think, especially for women. Many women have darker colored hair growing on the face, especially if it is caused by hormonal issues. As a rule of thumb, the facial area can be somewhat sensitive in laser hair removal, especially if you have darker skin tones. The lip is actually the most sensitive area on the face to have lasered, but it takes less than two minutes to do so. This makes it quite an effective procedure, even if you do feel stinging and discomfort during the treatment since it only will last for a few moments. One thing to take into consideration is that facial laser hair removal treatments should not be done two weeks prior to a special event since a reaction is possible. Even if you have had a wonderful experience every time, there is no guarantee as to how your face will react. The bottom line is that it is recommended not to get your face treated two weeks before any upcoming event.
- Laser hair removal on the legs: The legs can be treated with laser hair removal from the ankle to the hipbone, but the most commonly treated area is from the ankle to above the knee. This constitutes the lower leg, and it is normally comfortable for many women. However, if you do have very coarse hair on your legs, it can become more painful in treatment. Typically, the most painful areas are along the ankle bone, shinbone, and the knee.
- Laser hair removal on the underarms: For some women with less coarse hair in their underarms, this laser hair removal treatment does not cause any pain. However, if you have very coarse hair under your arms, it can be quite painful, especially in the center of the underarm. Luckily, this is another very short treatment that should last less than five minutes, so it is worthwhile to treat the underarms even if it becomes uncomfortable during the treatment.
- Laser hair removal on the chest: Both men and women can receive laser hair removal on the chest, but for men, it will be increasingly more painful since the hair is very dense and coarse. Women who have laser hair removal done on the chest may have very soft and dark hair that they would like to remove. Overall, this is a very useful treatment for men or women to remove unwanted hair, but it can be painful for men who have very thick chest hair.
- Laser hair removal on the back: This is another treatment done by both men and women, but it will be more painful for men with very dense hair on the back. If a man or woman has soft and dark hair on their back, it may not be a painful treatment, but it can become uncomfortable if very dense back hair is treated with the laser.
- Laser hair removal on the bikini: Bikini treatments are one of the most popular forms of laser hair removal, and there are many different choices. A simple bikini line treatment will constitute the area outside of the panty line where hair can often grow. From there, there are different bikini packages offered to remove more hair, all the way up to a complete Brazilian treatment. This treatment will include the pubic area, the labia, and the anal area so that all hair is removed completely. This can be quite a sensitive treatment for female patients, and it is often recommended to use a numbing agent after your first treatment.
- Laser hair removal for men's genitals: Laser hair removal treatment for men's genitals will offer the same options as women's bikini treatments. A man can choose to have hair removed outside of his underwear line, moving inward to a complete Brazilian treatment. This would again involve all hair being removed on the upper pubic area, genitalia, and anal area. A man may have an even more difficult time with this treatment since men can have coarser hair in the pubic area.
Overall, laser hair removal is a beneficial treatment for all areas of the body to remove unwanted hair!
This article was written by Bethany North. Bethany is a licensed esthetician with experience in hands-on experience in chemical peels, microdermabrasion, facials, laser hair removal, makeup applications, skin analysis, waxing, spray tanning, and product ingredient assessment. She has also worked as a salon sales and training consultant, as well as a consultant for beauty and hair care product lines in branding and marketing.