4 laser hair removal

Go Back   4 Laser Hair Removal Forums > General Laser Hair Removal > Laser Hair Removal for Women

Unread 04-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
SageMother

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoy View Post
With all the talk of the damage that can happen if the laser treatment is done incorrectly, couplled with the prohibitive price, I agree with all of you that going to the salon is definitely the better option.
I don't think I would be too frightened about trying one at home. After all, I could find an area on my legs to practice where I wouldn't mind less than perfect results!
SageMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
justjoy

I'm pretty new to all of this, so perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid! I just worry about burns or scars. Perhaps once I've had a treatment done and am more confident, I'll give the home treatments a try too.
justjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #13
Green-Moo

I think my concrn would be that a home machine would be less powerful and therefore less effective. however, if it were possible to get a more powerful I'd be concerned about the damage it could do in untrained hands!
Green-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
SageMother

I think it is important to remember that everyone starts learning a new skill somewhere. The certified tech at the spa or doctor's office may not have as much experience as you would hope, and their working under someone else's supervision doesn't mean they will not the make the same mistakes you might, or that you will have recourse if you are injured.

If anything, you might be more careful with yourself than someone else because you can feel and control what you are doing. If there is pain you will be able to stop it a bit faster than you can if you are telling someone else to stop.

It may be milliseconds, but they do count!

Unread 04-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
Green-Moo

The pain thing is a very good point SageMother, which I'd overlooked. Of course you would notice it yourself and stop long before a salon would.
Green-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #16
SageMother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Moo View Post
The pain thing is a very good point SageMother, which I'd overlooked. Of course you would notice it yourself and stop long before a salon would.
It is that thought that fuels my interest in being able to do risky things for myself!

Unread 04-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #17
mom2manyboyz

This isn't a sharp "ok we've gone too far, so we should stop now," pain that we are talking about.

The pain during a laser treatment is steady and consistent like an electric shock. It is painful enough that I clentch my fists and my teeth to stop from screaming. It was not easy to hold still.

I don't think a person could do this on their own body. I really don't. It requires you to stay too steady while you are in pain. It would be a little like drilling your own teeth and hitting a nerve, all the while expecting to hold the drill still.
mom2manyboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #18
riskey58

Default Home treatments

I have never heard of anything you could buy to do it at home. But I really don't think I would want to do it myself. I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing.
riskey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
SageMother

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2manyboyz View Post
This isn't a sharp "ok we've gone too far, so we should stop now," pain that we are talking about.

The pain during a laser treatment is steady and consistent like an electric shock. It is painful enough that I clentch my fists and my teeth to stop from screaming. It was not easy to hold still.

I don't think a person could do this on their own body. I really don't. It requires you to stay too steady while you are in pain. It would be a little like drilling your own teeth and hitting a nerve, all the while expecting to hold the drill still.
If the pain resembles that of having a tooth drilled, then having a technician perform the procedure should be accompanied by a pain reliever that is a lot stronger than Tylenol, aspirin, or Motrin, and needs to be performed in a setting more like a dentist's office or doctor's office.

Even then, most people can deal with pain that they control better than that controlled by someone else, because they determine how long the pain will last with each pass of the "wand". The brain recognizes the connection between the hand holding the instrument and the pain to come, allowing endorphins to build up before the pain actually starts.

Last edited by SageMother; 05-04-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Unread 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
mom2manyboyz

I would measure the pain greater than something you could do yourself and less than drilling of teeth.

Most of the technicians that perform laser treatment are licensced. I would not get the treatment from anyone that wasn't licensced. There are risks for hypopigmentation (white spots from improper use).
mom2manyboyz is offline   Reply With Quote