4 laser hair removal

Go Back   4 Laser Hair Removal Forums > General Laser Hair Removal > Laser Hair Removal for Men

Unread 05-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
smoothie

Send a message via MSN to smoothie
Smile Smoothie here with an update

Hello all and thanks so much for your replies. Greatly appreciate it.
Anyway, just thought I would update everybody on my progress.
I had my third IPL treatment on May 8th and had been busy all day doing a first aid course and running to make my evening appointment.
I managed to ask a few questions and found out that the setting would be at 13 joules. This was an increase from previous treatments. I was a bit concerned about the higher setting and also about having an erection.
To my surprise I did not get an erection. I think possibly because I had a somewhat exhausting day. I did find the zaps from the wand were more noticeable than the other times, but did not find it painful. The technician was the only other person in the room, not like session #2 when there was another girl that she was training. Session 2 was a bit of a uncomfortable...I had 2 attractive females in the room with me, I had to wear eye shields because of the treatment to my brow and I was unable to see anything. Being sight deprived added to the tension. During the treatments I have a towel to cover me and move to one side as each area gets treated. During session #2 the techs moved the towel and my penis as they worked.True there was a towel between the hand and me, but it just added to the tension , especially when unable to see.
Last time however, I moved the towel and my penis, same as the first treatment. It was much easier and comfortable for me.
I did not have to worry about where I was being touched or the sensation.
I felt much more comfortable and relaxed, did not have the erection and did not have to worry much about an orgasm.
In future I think I will feel more relaxed and if necessary will suggest that I move the towel and my penis myself as each area is treated.
Replying to tater03, I think you are partially correct in saying "scared stiff".
I think part of the reason for the erection was the not knowing what to expect. Your body is tensing up in anticipation for the treatment and not knowing exactly what is going to happen.
Also, tater03, getting treated directly on the shaft did not hurt. I noticed that during session 2 and the last time (3) the tech did not seem to treat as far up the shaft though. This may be because at higher settings it would hurt.
Maybe I will ask her next time.
Also, as for the treatments....after 1 and 2 there seemed to be delayed growth in certain spots. Since then and even after session 3 the hair has grown in fairly thickly again. The tech said we would now be doing treatments about every 8 weeks instead of 6 and that I still had a long way to go. Apparently with the new scheduling I should finish up about a year from the time I started.
I am certainly hoping the treatments work and am hoping to see better results eventually.
Maybe some of you can give me a better idea of what to expect with regards to results?
smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Green-Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie View Post
I think part of the reason for the erection was the not knowing what to expect. Your body is tensing up in anticipation for the treatment and not knowing exactly what is going to happen.

I think you are probably absolutely right there. But I'm glad to hear that the session went well.
Green-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
smoothd

Default fight or flight? huh?

Sagemother, sorry to seem rude, but the fight of flight mechanism would not cause an erection. It actually would do more to inhibit an erection. See, the sympathetic nervous system causes vasoconstriction(a tightening of the blood vessels) in the periphery, which includes the penis, in order to shunt blood to the vital organs needed for the activity-fighting or flighting!

I actually had my first treatment for a male bikini laser hair removal this last week. I went for an initial consultation, and the prices were so good, as well as the tech having some spare time, that I decided to go ahead and get treated. I actually had the area above my penis alone, as I din't know if I wanted that area to be completely bald the rest of my life.(I think now that I will have all but just a little patch lasered, now that I have had time to think about it more).

I also was a little concerned about getting an erection, as there is no way the tech can avoid that area. When I first got on the table, she placed the towel over my abdomen and had me remove my pants and underwear. I started to get an erection at that time and kind of held on to my penis to the side so it wouldn't be so obvious(i know it must have been). She didn't say anything about it, and just went on like nothing ever happened. This actually happened twice during the consultation, but once the treatment started, everything began to relax itself, maybe because she started with my anal area and I was on my belly. Just a side note, I went with long stubble so the tech could see the color of my hair, and let me know if I was a good candidate(about 40% of my scrotal hair is lighter than the rest), and was instructed to shave before coming next time. She also had to shave me before doing the therapy.

Once the treatment started on the front, I was good for a few minutes, until she lasered the base of my penis, and I began getting erect again. It lasted even a shorter period of time as the pain set in. There really was little pain with the whole procedure, which surprised me quite a bit, as I was expecting it to be very bad. Maybe it was that the sttings were pretty low at first. I dont know. I didn't think to ask her those things.

Anyway, what can I expect as far as singing the hair shedding when it comes to post laser treatments? Anyone?
smoothd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #14
stormy

Default Advice

Smoothie-I finally scheduled an appointment next week for a modified brazilian and wanted to know exactly what areas were covered by this procedure. I assume that the shaft and scrotum are covered but what about the underside of the scrotum leading to the anus and the area above the anus to the tail bone? Is this part of a brazilian? I don't want to be totally bald below the belly button but would not mind a little off the sides. Is this considered a bikini laser treatment? Anyway, I found a male doctor to perform this so I am anxious to get it done. I am also worried about getting an erection but I am hoping that the pain involved will prevent anything from happening. I am glad you are finding satisfactory results. By the way, if i may be so bold to ask, how much is this costing you? I was quoted $150.00.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #15
oregonfpdoc

"Modified Brazilian" means whatever they want it to mean.
You simply need to talk to them.
Full Brazilian generally means bald. Modified would be anything else.

I've done 6 male Full Brazilians myself and love the results. I just have a few sparse thin hairs. I've not shaved for two weeks and there are no hairs visible without a bright oblique light. None are feel-able at all.

I'll go some touch-ups to get the stray fine ones because my goal is as near 100% as possible, but that's just me(and my wife!).

She's doing the "nothing left below the eyebrows route.....lovely smooth.

Good luck.

BTW...erections with the all female staff.....no way...it hurts and I'm no masochist.
oregonfpdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
smoothie

Hi there stormy and also oregonfpdoc,
smoothie here with a some more to add on...
oregon is correct...brazilian generally means the groin area passing between the legs and also the buttocks area bare I believe. Totally bare. And modified would be however you wanted to modify it to leave hair in certain areas.
I was somewhat disappointed when after 4 treaments I ended up with a new laser technician who then asked me if I did the back as well as the front and discovered having the back done at the same time was part of the brazilian and included in the price.
Had I known before this that it would not have cost extra, I may have opted for it. However, I do need to be shaved before going for a treatment, and being currently single it may have posed a problem trying to shave my own behind.
I have currently had six (6) treatments. The spa I go to uses an IPL machine, which is not really a laser. It stands for Intense Pulsed Light.
There seems to be delayed growth and maybe even a little patchy, but there still seems to be considerable hair growth. I mentioned this to the tech last time and she seemed to think I should have noticed results by now. I told her I did not think there was much reduction in hair growth overall. When she treated me I noticed the zaps were more powerful and asked if she had increased the settings. She confirmed this, but I am not sure how much she increased them from last time. I think maybe after I mentioned I did not think there was much growth reduction, she decided it was time to increase the settings substantially. It was the most time I had noticed the zaps. Still not painful, but quite noticeable.
I am just wondering if you know what type of machine, either laser or IPL and also the type they are using to treat you and your wife oregon?
You are definitely having better results than I am having.
I think true lasers actually hurt more than IPL as well, so maybe thats why you say it hurts, plus it may be why you are getting better results.
If I don't start seeing better results in the next few treatments, I am considering going someplace that uses an actual laser instead of IPL.
Has anybody else tried IPL? What type of results have you experienced?
oregon...I think it is fantastic that you and your wife are deciding to both do this.
The spa I go to is apparently only treating one other guy besides me for a brazilian. I am also only getting the front and thru to the anus done.
Just to let you know though oregon...I do sometime experience erections. Sometimes while lying/sitting on the table prior to treatment and sometimes during treatment. Other times there is no erection whatsoever. I think there are several factors which cause this, ranging from the room temperature, possibly my testosterone levels, what type of day I have had, my mood, where the tech touches, maybe even how low cut her or tight her top is, as she is leaning in front of me somewhat.
I have noticed that the spa I go to seems to employ all women, no guys, and they are all fairly young, and quite attractive. I think it is part of an image the spa is trying to project to other women.
As for costs stormy...I live in Canada and the spa I go to has only been open about a year, so I think they are being quite competitive as there are a lot of spas in this city.
However, I started out paying $95.00 plus taxes for a brazilian. The spa later advertised lower prices and they now advertise a brazilian for $68.00 per treatment. This is what I have paid the last 2 or 3 times. However, last time I paid, the clerk said that next time it would be double that and would cost me $136.00.
I mentioned they advertise the price as $68.00 and she said that is for women and they should have been charging me $136.00, double that charged women. When I asked why she said it's because there is more to treat on men.
I don't agree. Especially seeing as how I only get the front treated anyway, and technically they should be doing the back as well. How can they say they have to treat more area?
Consider also that there are only myself and 1 other guy getting this done at this spa currently anyway. He and his wife are apparently going together.
Anyway, the spa I go to is part of a fairly large chain called HUMMNGBIRD SPA(S). They are located across Canada and in Hawaii.
I am going to complain about being charged double what a woman has to pay when I go next time. I could see maybe a slight price difference, perhaps $80.00 or $85.00 instead of the $68.00 women are charged, but not double.
As well, last visit when I mentioned not thinking the results were very positive so far I asked the tech if she had tried it and she confirmed.I did not ask where or about her results. I asked if she had ever had male clients that had actually completed the hair removal (reduction) treatment and were now basically bare. Clients who were satisfied and had completed treatments. She said she had not yet, so I don't think she really knows what to expect maybe.
The spa is a nice one, new and clean, but I think maybe the management is still going through growing pains and trying to iron out the bugs.
I am not sure if I will complete treatments at this facility.
Hope to hear from those of you who have tried IPL and also the true laser clients and lets compare the results.
I seem to have rambled on somnewhat again...sorry.
stormy...let me know how it goes.

Last edited by smoothie; 12-05-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: corrections
Unread 12-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #17
oregonfpdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie View Post
Hi there stormy and also oregonfpdoc,

oregon...I think it is fantastic that you and your wife are deciding to both do this.
The spa I go to is apparently only treating one other guy besides me for a brazilian. I am also only getting the front and thru to the anus done.
Just to let you know though oregon...I do sometime experience erections. Sometimes while lying/sitting on the table prior to treatment and sometimes during treatment. . I asked if she had ever had male clients that had actually completed the hair removal (reduction) treatment and were now basically bare. Hope to hear from those of you who have tried IPL and also the true laser clients and lets compare the results.
Hi. Very productive rambling, is you call it that.

Yes, it's been a great "bonding" experience to go in with my wife.

Original she wanted me to get her a bikini-line deal for Valentine's Day.
She almost chickened out and she said "I'll do it if you'll do it". We've shaved each other for years so it is a logical thing to do.
She added the legs and armpits soon after the second session.

We have a true laser experience....755-nm Alexandrite laser and the 1064-nm Nd:YAG laser in the clinic's Cynosure Elite.
Fortunate because the 755mn burned my darker scrotal areas the first time...a definite ouch.
My wife;s very light skin and dark hair is the laser-tech dream. For me they varied between the 755mn for the lighter areas and switched on-the-fly to the Nd:YAG.

She's annoyed with her little undergrowth of age-induced gray hairs that are resistant. I figure the soft little tuft is cute.
I'm pretty much down to ultrafine lighter hairs only that are indiscernible even after 7-10 days without shaving, having started out with a dense dark forest of course pubic hair.

We are thrilled thus far.

Oh, one more thought about erections....I ejaculate a couple of hours before going for the seven sessions just to avoid the embarrassment.
oregonfpdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #18
smoothie

Hi Oregon,
Thanks for the reply. Since the last treatment and the higher power setting, I think there may be some progress. Some areas seem to be growing back quite slowly and I am wondering if maybe some won't grow back. I will just have to wait and see I guess.
I am currently single, but hope if I start a realtionship she will appreciate the fact I have a brazilian. Hopefully, she will want the same, and maybe even more on her body.

I would like to hear from others who have tried IPL and hear what you thought of the results.
Unread 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
pes123

nice going smoothie, i hope the best for you since you really have struggled alot to get rid of your problem. Best of luck for your relationship
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
smoothie

Hi pes123 or is it Jessica?
Anyway, it's now September 2009 and I have had 12 IPL treatments. There is still hair growth, however it does seem thinner in some areas and the hair seems finer. I am going to switch to a spa that uses an actual laser soon. I was in for a test patch and the tech did 2 small spots and in 1 at least there is still no growth. Also, the place where I have been going is gradually increasing their prices and it's now more than double what it was when I started. The only way to keep the cheaper price is to continue to buy packages of 3 treatments or more at a time. The new spa I checked out advertises the lowest prices and they also do only hair removal, they are not into make-up, massages, manicures, etc. that many spas do. They are a laser hair removal spa only. They seem to have a better set up with regards to the room, the chair, the equipment.
Are you having hair removal done?
If so, laser or IPL?
Or maybe you are an esthetician or laser tech?
I tried to access the Essay Writing link, but it is not accessible. Says the page cannot be found.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers!